As we prepare for the 2016-17 Fantasy Basketball Season, I’ll be taking a look at each NBA team with their major adds and drops to see if we can pan for any surprise rotational gold.  This open is especially witty for the Nuggets.  We’ll be counting down from worst NBA regular season to the best, mainly because I’m still figuring out how to rank the Warriors…

New York Knicks (32-50)

Arron Afflalo

G Jose Calderon

G Langston Galloway

F Derrick Williams

G Jerian Grant

F Lance Thomas

Derek Fisher’s Mind – he really thinks he can play again?!

“They’re saying us and Golden State are the super teams…”  WHO?!??!  Hilarious.

Despite that kind of absolute lunacy, the Knicks did vastly improve.  While the Knicks weren’t necessarily “bad” on defense, they add Lee and Noah to bolster the holes Melo and Rose pose on the defensive end.  And not like they need another scorer with Rose and Melo…  With all these one-syllable names for their starters, we have to just call Porzingis “Goose”!  Rose, Lee, Melo (I guess that’s two syllables, dammit!), Goose, and Noah (dammit that’s two again!).  This super intro is going nowhere.  Here’s how the Knicks have assembled their super team:

PG – Projected Starter – Derrick Rose

Rose is really gonna frustrate some Poison Goose owners, that’s for sure!  Goose is gonna go like 55% from the field on 14 shots, while D Rose is at 25% on 25 shots.  At least Rose scrapped the terrible 3PT% by taking drastically fewer triples, and lowered his TO to 2.7/game, best since his rookie season.  That of course comes with only 4.7 AST, and he still shot only 42.7% overall.  Not to mention his FT volume was a career-worst last year.  At this point, I think Rose is what he is.  A decent enough last PG on your team, and maybe someone you nab at 100-110 if you need scoring.

Key Reserves – Brandon Jennings

It also doesn’t help Rose all that much that BJ is looming behind him for rough nights.  BJ was pretty vintage BJ last year – some scoring, decent assists with low TO, horrible FG% and jacks ton of treys.  Kinda hard to believe Jennings is only 26 too…  We know how brittle Rose is, so Jennings might make for a pretty interesting deep league stash.

SG – Projected Starter – Courtney Lee

I just yawned thinking about what to write here.  They won’t need the offensive upside of Holiday with the starters, so expect your typical Lee wing defense.  10 Pts, a trey, a steal and virtually no TO.  Hey, it has its REL use!  I may or may not be the REL Lee owner…

Key Reserves – Justin Holiday, Sasha Vujacic

Holiday has flashed some nice shizz when given a chance (29/3/5/2/1 in the 15-16 finale), and even though SG depth isn’t too pretty in NY, he’s just not the most necessary fit.  Vujacic is a boring old ThrAGNOF that’ll play in some stretches here and there.  Meh.

SF – Projected Starter – Carmelo Anthony

Mannnnn, Melo has been declining.  All the way down to 21.8 PPG, FG% declining, D stats declining…  But surprisingly, even on an awful team where maybe this SHOULDN’T have happened with a scorer like Melo, he did post a career-best 4.2 dimes.  That’s nothing to sneeze at, especially with AST-anemic guards.  While people might fixate on everything else declining, I don’t think it’d be a shock to see 5+ dimes.

Key Reserves – Lance Thomas

The Knicks could bring back Mr. Cleanthony Early and have some dude named Mindaugas Kuzminskas coming from overseas to try and make the team, but neither are givens to make the roster.  So looks pretty locked up for Lance Thomas to get all the backup SF run he can handle on a fresh, new 4-year, $27 mil deal.  Not bad for a guy we thought might not make the roster a few years in a row…

PF – Projected Starter – Kristaps Porzingis

Kristappppps.  POISON GOOSE!  Kristappppps.  POISON GOOSE!  Just so epically poisonous, and going to make a huge splash (pun?) in my ranks this year.  14.3/7.3/1.3/0.7/1.9 with 1.1 treys in a rookie season is absolutely nothing to sneeze at.  Especially since Phil J said he would only play 15 MPG at first.  That ended quick!  There were a few peaks in valleys in his run that had him at only 28.4 MPG; imagine what he’s gonna do at 32+ with a full year under his belt?!  Yes, he was a little booboo prone due to being a toothpick, but he’s bulking up and ready for a big year.

Key Reserves – Maurice Ndour

Sure, all the Cs listed below could play some backup 4 as well if need be (same with Lance Thomes), but for now their depth chart has this dude there.  He had that pesky leg stress reaction injury with the Mavs last year who waived him, and he barely played for Real Madrid in his pro ball 2015-16 campaign.  But he can apparently be a shot blocker, so could be on the radar if there’s injuries.

C – Projected Starter – Joakim Noah

Goromotaro!  Noah gets to go back to starting, and like a true New Yorker, whine his ass off to the refs.   Despite a pretty disastrous overall season, once Noah got a little run he had a 12 game spurt of 6.5/9.8/4.8/0.6/1.4.  Then his shoulda kinda sorta started falling out.  Same point with Melo’s dimes go here too, I think Noah fits the team well and we know he can dime with a PG he’s familiar with in Rose.  Noah could actually become a nice value in 15-16.

Key Reserves – Kyle O’Quinn, Guillermo Hernangomez

The Irishman!  Man, he has a fun fantasy set of skills by being able to hit all the cats, bang treys, hit FT, but it just hasn’t come together.  Then they also have this giant 7-foot Spainiard to vie for the backup run, although he’s still reportedly raw.  That’s what they said about the Goose though!

JB’s 2016-17 Projection: 47-35

I actually think this Super Team will be a playoff team, and I guess for the Knicks that’s super enough…

I would like to take this opportunity to remind fellow readers that Brandon Jennings, just one month into his rookie season (09-10), once went scoreless in the first quarter, scored 29 in the 3rd, and finished the game (against GSW) with 55pts – the youngest ever to score that amount! Two years later, he would average 19/3.5/5/5 with 1.5stls on 42% (as well as a sneaky 0.3 blks for a 6ft PG). How the mighty have fallen…. Sure hope he beats Rose for the starting gig throughout the season, just to silence all those unreasonably zealous DRose fans around the world.

I’ll be watching this team solely to see my guy Noah getting good burn as a starter and, boy oh boy, are those Knicks fans gonna root for the guy at MSG! Gonna be fun to watch him hype the crowd up. He, Melo and Goose crashing the Obrds should be niiice.

@Lasandro: I rememeber that game! Dude, he can be mad fun to watch. When my company did the Yahoo fantasy basketball highlights starting in 12-13, the very first game I did highlights on was this on opening night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8ulOlbqEA

Hah, will be tough to pass Rose on the depth chart, but injury to Rose is so likely…

Yeah man, they should be a good boarding team! A nice little sleeper in the 5-8 seeds in the playoffs for a first round upset as long as they dont draw the Cavs

• Slim

@Lasandro: I’m going with Jennings outside the top-150 but he could certainly be a hot pickup if/when Rose goes down. But… a career .390 FG% is kind of punt territory only. Someone will win a DFS with one of his games but those 3-fer-20 games won’t be fun.

@Lasandro: @Slim: Yup that sounds about right. We’ll see how ugly it looks in the 130-140s and he might sneak in around there

2. DORIAN says:

Melo has been overrated and boo boo prone for so long that this might actually be the year that players start underrating him. With the improvements to the team I could see him playing a relatively full slate of games this year as they challenge for a playoff spot. He would be my pick for profit potential.

In the other hand, the guy in your league that overdrafts Rose on his name recognition probably just does the same with Melo.

@DORIAN: It’s possible, he’s just still suchhhhhh a big name. The dimes will be interesting though. All depends on ADP, and yeah haha, depends on the skill level of your league and how high the “names” go like Rose

• Slim

@DORIAN: Someone is going to draft Melo in the 2nd round and Y! probably pre-draft ranks him at 15-20. That is obviously a big ‘ol pass. If everyone stayed healthy Melo probably has a pretty solid year but I’m going well under JBs Win-Loss record with Melo/Rose/Noah all playing under 70 games. But I tend to be the more pessimistic one between us…

@DORIAN: @Slim: Yeahhhhh, I think that’s indeed likely re: Melo ADP. But yeah, you’re the pessimistic one! One of those guys will make it over. I think Melo is likely to. I think they’ll be an OK team, they actually fit fairly nice

3. Dirk's Digglers says:

What do you think Noah’s numbers might look like?

• Slim

@Dirk’s Digglers: Let’s see… I’m going to assume at 31 years old and a slew of injuries Noah’s days of 30 minutes a game are behind him. There’s no shortage of scorers on this team so I imagine Noah won’t be looking to do much there. OK I’m at…

.460/.680/0/8.0/9.2/4.4/0.7/1.1/2.0 :28 min

Top-100? Eh, sure. You could probably do worse but over/under 70 games, I’ll take the under.

@Dirk’s Digglers: @Slim: Don’t disagree with injuries, but he barely played last year due to the shoulder, so his legs will be fresh. So I’ll go right at 30 minutes. But I can’t change any of those stats, that looks good Slimbo Slice

4. MAC says:

RAZZUP!!!

SCHED is out.

if im right heres the games of 1st rounders teams

GSW 3/4/4
    HOU 3/3/4
    OKC 3/3/4
    MIN 4/3/3
    NOR 4/3/4
    LAC 4/5/3
    CLE 4/3/4
    SAS 4/3/4
    MIA 3/3/4

• Slim

@MAC: *cracks knuckles* Looks like I’ve got some writing to do.

• MAC says:

@Slim: *cracks ribs* looks like ive got an article looking forward to

• Lasandro says:

@MAC: *cracks up*

@MAC: @Slim: @Lasandro: Hahaha I love you guys

5. MAC says:

love you all man!!!

@MAC: Love is in the air! Kinda like how Love I think still has to be in the top 50, I dunno…

6. Drez1 says:

Hey JB/Slim, how do you guys rank the top 5 bigs from this rookie class?

I’ve got a dynasty draft coming up, and I desperately need a big with upside. I’m picking last (14th) since I schooled them bitches last season, lol. I figure I’ll have a shot at Criss/Poetel/Sabonis/Zubac/Brice/Skal, etc. Looking pretty dire when it comes to minutes for the most part, so I might end up going BPA. Dunno.

Standard cats with oreb/dreb and a/t ratio instead of turnovers. Thanks!

@Drez1: Great question! I’ll only rank for-sure PFs and Cs you think? Haha nice finish last year! And you’re talking dyno ranks too right, not 16-17 only impact?

Let’s see I’ll go – for dynasty – Dragan/Chriss/Zubac/Skal L/Poetl . I really wanna put Deyonta Davis in there too, I think he could surprise, and Georgio P could be in the range too, especially with OREB down the road for that big dude. Any time!