As we prepare for the 2016-17 Fantasy Basketball Season, I’ll be taking a look at each NBA team with their major adds and drops to see if we can pan for any surprise rotational gold.  This open is especially witty for the Nuggets.  We’ll be counting down from worst NBA regular season to the best, mainly because I’m still figuring out how to rank the Warriors…

Brooklyn Nets (21-61)

Nets

Key Acquisitions:

Jeremy Lin

F Trevor Booker

Greivis Vasquez

F Luis Scola

F Anthony Bennett

G Randy Foye

Chris LeVert (Rookie)

Justin Hamilton

G Isaiah Whitehead (Rookie)

Key Losses:

F Thaddeus Young

G/F Joe Johnson

G Jarrett Jack (wahhhhhh!)

G Shane Larkin

G Donald Sloan

The Fountain of Youth

Ewwwwww, the Nets.  I still can’t fathom how anyone could be a fan of this team.  It just exudes boredom.  Nothing exemplifies this better than what they did at PF, but we’ll get there.

While you’d expect a team this bad to overhaul they A) traded all their picks in that horrific Celtics deal and B) gave big contracts to Brook Lopez and Thad Young last year, apparently happy to stay in the status quo.  If there was ever a team that looked stuck in the mud, it would be this one.  Get ready to start yawning!

PG – Ugghhhh, just looking at their add/drops, they cut the entirety of their meh PG depth for even meh-er guys.  Hah, I keed a little, I actually think Lin could be a little bit of a surprise.  He was 17.5/4.0/4.8/0.2/0.4 as a starter in 13 games last year, with 1.8 treys.  Those anemic steals are annoying, but “only” 2.5 TO in that run is pretty impressive given some of his TO issues earlier in his career.  With the Nets horrid lack of playmaking besides BroLo in the post, I don’t think it’s outlandish to see a similar line starting with the Nets, with the AST closer to 6 and a steal/per.  The Twerp Greivis Vasquez figures to play the primary backup minutes, yawn, then as the commenters brought to my attention, keep an eye on Isaiah Whitehead.  He’s likely spending a lot of time in the D-League and was very meh in Summer Ball, but he did average 1.4 blocks with 6.3 AST as a soph at Seton Hall, which is always a fun blend of stats.  That said, shot 37.9% on 18.7 shots.  Yikes.

SG – We’re still a good bit out from the season, but I’m wondering if there will be sleeper buzz for RHJ.  In his rookie campaign, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson had a run of 7.6/7.7/1.6/1.9 50% FG before breaking his ankle, and had a few flashes in low MPG to end the season as well.  He’s definitely a Liam Neeson.  Very particular and unique set of skills, with STL/REB/FG% from a wing.  He averaged 6.6 boards and an Ocean’s Eleven-esque 3.2 steals in 5 Summer League games, so it looks legit from RHJ in those cats.  That said, he’s more a roster-filler than upside-gamble, so I still don’t see him cracking the top-100.

Behind RHJ is in there interesting flier the Nets took on Chris LeVert.  He’s recovering from a Jones fracture, but as the Nets lose 9 of every 10 games, could be brought along with more and more minutes to see what they have.  His stats make it seem like he’s a little ThrAGNOFfy, but he did get all the way up to 4.9 AST as a senior at Mittengan and shot 50.6% from the field, hitting 44.6% from deep.  Our final roster filler is Randy Foye, who can play PG and SG, but I usually think of him as a SG.  Blah.

SF – Look out for the BoBo!  While typically an absolute ThrAGNOF, Bojan Bogdanovic did have a few stretches including a 21-game run in Feb-Mar of 16.0/3.2/1.9/0.2/0.0 with 2.5 treys hitting 49% overall.  That had a 44 point game in there that skews it a tad, but the Nets need offense!  They need ThrAGNOF!

Depending on how LeVert looks early on, it may push RHJ to the 3 and BoBo off the bench.  Especially since their SF depth is pretty thin, with only Sean Kilpatrick capable there as well.  Wow, Kilpatrick was awesome to end last year!  How did I totally forget this?!  14.8/2.3/1.2/0.5/0.1 with 1.6 treys over the final 21 games.  Ok, that’s not too great…  Just the consistent scoring surprised me; he was in double-digits in 19 of those 21.  He put up 19.2 Pts in Summer Ball, so if he ever got a consistent role, he could provide a little deep league scoring.

PF – With the position absa-fucking-lutely wide open, they spend $18 mil over two years on…  Trevor Booker?  Now, to be fair, this is less about Booker.  But guess who was on the wire?!  Terrence Motherfucker Jones!  Ahhhhh, I’m got so mad I broke my F bomb filter I usually keep on for hoops.  I’m THAT angry!  Instead T Jones goes to the Pels for the vet minimum.  Wow.  Way to just overlook what could be a homerun signing.  OK, I gotta get off this and talk about the actual team.

Booker could be OK here.  In per-36 in the first half last year, he was about 10/12/2/2/1 with a very low TO rate and had flashed the ability to hit treys.  If he’s penciled in as the starter late in the preseason, I could see throwing a last-round pick his way.

Behind Booker it’s a mess.  Which actually isn’t that good for Booker, since they have several other options.  Let’s start with who stayed on the team – Chris McCullough.  Rumored to be a lottery pick talent, he tore his ACL and fell to the last first round in 2015.  Man, just realized the Nets love drafting injured guys with their first round picks… Hah!  McCollough is as cookie cutter stretch-4 as it gets.  Shoots jumpers, 3s, and to the detriment of his FG%.  In 24 games last year, he was 11.1/6.8/0.9/2.8/1.2 with 1.3 3PTM and only 1.5 TO in per-36.  If he somehow took the starting role, I could see him being a surprise must-own.

Then just to cloud it even worse, they sign Luis Scola (ugh) and Anthony Bennett (wowzer!).  At least one of these guys is never playing and another only sporadically in blowouts.  Aherm, I guess that means every game for the Nets, amiright?!

C – It’s Brook Lopez and that’s all that really matters.  Well, strike that a little.  They did sign Justin Hamilton to “presumably” be the backup 5, and he’s had a few short spurts of fantasy goodness.  In 2014-15 with the Wolves, when he got unleashed he had a 4-game run of 14.0/7.3/2.8/1.3/1.8 with 0.5 treys, hurt his hammy I believe, then wrapped up with a 10.3/5.4/1.3/1.3/1.9 line over the final 9 games shooting 55.2%.  He played in Europe last year on a 1-year deal and had similar multi-cat lines.  If something should happen to ol’ Clown Foot (sorry Las!) or if the Nets don’t bring in C depth in deadline trades and either deal BroLo or sit him late, Hamilton could be a factor.

JB’s 2016-17 Projection: 13-69

This team looks dreadful.  I’m gonna go ahead and say the NBA’s worst.

1. v00dr00 says:

I’m so bored that I’m commenting for no reason.

@v00dr00: I was kinda thinking that there was a possibility no one would comment because trying to read this would put you into immediate narcoleptic sleep…

2. DORIAN says:

You guys got it all wrong, these teams are gold. I love teams like the Nets, where losing and boringness leads to a bias against them in fantasy, driving down the draft price. Gold Jerry, gold! Thad Young was a rock for me last year, and Brook was awesome, and Jack was even decent pre injury.

This year you can pay premium rates for a PG that gets 15/5+ and a PF that gets 10/10+ from an “exciting” team or half that for Lin and Booker.

I know what I will do.

@DORIAN: Well Lin, yes. I think he has some great value. I think the Sixers and Lakers both had interesting guys I mentioned! Nets just seem to not have much upside anywhere, BroLo is great, sure, but Jack was still fairly meh. Thad was fine… Lin, 100% agree. I definitely can’t bank on that for Booker, too much crappy depth and volatility there for me

3. The Brooklyn Nets have a lot of great athletes.

• v00dr00 says:

@Herbert Moore: But what about basketball players?

@Herbert Moore: @v00dr00: Haha I think Herb is being sarcastic. Ain’t none of these guys look like great athletes! Or great basektball players for that matter… I mean BroLo is fine. but he’s not exactly a DeAndre Jordan out there hahaha

Clown Foot shall make a clown of you all this season! #top30pick #seriously

Lin is def gonna be my JJack pick of this year’s fantasy season. He’ll be unsexy but a better pick than your montas of the world. May be comparable to, if not better than, Teague (only in stats, of course).

TJones is destined for a career of mediocrity and yes, he’s mostly to blame (as much as you hate to admit it ha). If Book does land close to 30min per, dude should be a nightly dub dub alongside Clown.

Don’t fucking swear, please.

@Lasandro: Hah, I think he’ll probably be in my top 30 🙂 Clownfoot is just such a good nickname though!

Hmmm, yeah I like that comp. Teague is gonna take a hit in IND, and had massive ups and downs last year as I’m sure you fondly remember 🙂

I think TJones is still young with upside. Woulda been a great buy by the Nets.

I’ll fucking work on the swearing, OK?!?!?!

• Slim

@JB Gilpin: The biggest difference I see is that Jack was predraft outside the top 100 everywhere and I highly doubt Lin is outside top 75 for Y! and ESPN predraft. So last years stats were effected by him being mostly a SG, but I’ll give a stat line a shot.

.420/.800/1.1/15.0/3.4/6.1/1.1/0.5/3.0 :32min

Pretty damn close to what Jack did, ok so maybe he shouldn’t be in the top-75… I’d put him in the 80s maybe, maybe.

For Teague I’ll go…

.450/.830/1.5/16.0/3.0/5.8/1.3/0.3/3.1 :32min

I think I’d call that in the 60s . Just a reminder when looking at last years numbers Teague only played 28.5 min. And he’ll be asked to be a bit more of a spot-up 3pt shooter like Hill was last year. Hence lower ast, higher 3s.

• Lasandro says:

@Slim @JB Gilpin: Interesting take. Comparing your two projections, I’d bet that Lin will outscore Teague and I think his brds will hover closer to the 4 per range.

Dare I say that Teague may average even less assists than you’re projecting. I don’t see him having NEARLY as many touches as he had last season, with Monta, PG, Stuckey, Lawson all ball-handling guards. He really took a step back last season and that was with just ONE other guard truly threatening his playing time on a nightly basis. In Indy, there are even more options to take away minutes at the 1 or 2 spot (let’s not forget Joe Young, who the organisation seems to like a lot). In short, I won’t be investing in this douche – he burnt me big time last year.

Jack was extremely useable in fantasy pre-injury and I rate Lin a better version of him. Should be interesting. At the very least, we know that his coach has his back, dating way back to the Linsanity days. He and Clown Foot should have a nice inside out combo moving forward. I think he’ll also be a sneaky source of fts per game. Solid.

@Slim: @Lasandro: Hmmmm, I dunno, you think Lin will get pre-ranked that high?! I feel like he’s been outside the top 100 so long that he’ll have no buzz, but we’ll see…

I think Lin might score even more than that. Rest seems about right tho. Teague line looks spot on.

Hahahah Las. Yeah the touches might be a tad lower % wise, but this Pacers team is gonna runnnnn and gunnnnn. hawks were a little more methodical. Glad you are coming around on the Clown Foot nickname!

• Slim

@JB Gilpin: I brought Teagues assists down from last year and gave him an extra 3.5 min, I felt like I crushed his assist total. And I think Schroder was WAYYYY better than Stuckey/Lawson last year and like JB said in a much slower offense. Also Horford/Sapper combined for like 6.5 ast/game. I don’t think the Pacers frontcourt has those kind of passers, or that the offense will move through them like it did in ATL. But yeah more bodies to potentially take minutes but they are all far worse than Schroder.

For Lins career as a starter (including Linsanity days) is 14.2 points in 32 min and per36 is 15.7. So even with 36 minutes I think 16.0 ppg is probably his ceiling. It’s very tough for me to believe he’s going to come in at 28 years old and and somehow blow those numbers up, esp since most teams won’t even need to bother guarding the 2-4.

Jack was OK but only because of the career high ast. sub 40% FG, less than 1 3, barely 1 stl, nearly 3 TOs. If I thought Jack would repeat last years numbers I would struggle to call him top 100, so yeah I think Lin is a slightly better version.

Teague and Lin averaged nearly identical per36 FT attempts the past 2 years and that was with Lin mostly playing against the 2nd unit. But even if that trend continues Teague will also beat him by .3-.4 FT%. Lin’s boards are 3.7 for his career in per36 and last year he had a career high but that was mostly as a SG, not a PG and the difference is often significant.

@Lasandro: @Slim: 5.8 seems so right though. PG13 being a usage whore, Ellis taking touches, Myles is gonna take a jump shot any time he’s open…

Well, yes Linsanity helps, but HOU next to Harden and LAL next to Kobe? The Nets are soooooooo much more anemic on playmaking than those teams. I don’t think going to 14.2 to 17 is blowing it up, just a reaction to the team build.

Teague is good at FT though too Slim, Lin should get the volume though. I bet Teague does less iso slashing on the Pacers, more quick shots

• Lasandro says:

@Slim @jb gilpin: and now you can add Aaron brooks to the slew of attacking pgs in Indy. What a strange signing!

@Lasandro: Hahaha, worthless vet depth at its best…