I discussed Thaddeus Young earlier today. It was awesome! You shoulda been there! You were? Well, then no wonder you don’t remember what I said. That’s how awesome it was. It erased your brain! I’ll make this blurb a little less awesome so you’ll remember it long enough to add Young to your team. And why should you add Thad? Because Thad’s per game averages are down this season. Oh, of course. Wait, what? He’s playing eight fewer minutes a game, which has seemed to really help him acclimate and develop chemistry with the second unit, a unit of which he may be the leader. Doug Collins seems to have hit on something since benching Evan Turner, starting Jodie Meeks and increasing Thad’s minutes slowly (23 mpg in October, 24 in November, 25 in December, 27 in his last three). The Sixers are 2-2 with decisive wins against Cleveland and Charlotte and close losses to Atlanta and Boston, two teams that would have blown them out a month ago. Young’s per minute averages are up because he’s become far more efficient in his ripe old age. He’s 22 in his fourth year and he’s coming along nicely. He’s got a 20.7 PER, a 123 ORtg and is averaging 20.7 ppg over his last three. He’s had it in him for two years to do this, it looks now as if he’s primed to start actually doing it. So go ahead and do it – add him.
Here are other players to consider taking in or shoving out to get you through the weekend:
Mike Dunleavy – He’s only starting in about half the games and his mpg went from 35 in October, to 30 in November and rests at 26 this month, but his shooting efficiency has risen from 39 percent, to 44 percent to 55 percent. He averaged 12/6/2 this week in addition to averaging a three, a steal and a block in each game. If you need an efficient shooter … Dirk Nowitzki is your man. If Dirk isn’t available on your waiver wire (Whaaaat!?!), consider Dunleavy.
Shane Battier – He’s sinking two threes a game this month and has raised his scoring totals from 8 points in November to 12 in December. His .640 FG% won’t last forever, but, like any good gold digger will tell you, ride him until he’s stone cold.
Jodie Meeks -Already went over him earlier this morning. If you hurry now, you’ll be able to read it before I’m done with this sentence. Or not.
Nick Young – Young has scored 18+ in eight of his last 12, has averaged over 1.5 threes in his last 12 and simultaneously reminds me of each member of Fat Albert’s gang of eight.
DeJuan Blair – He went from shooting .445 in November to hitting two-thirds of his shots in December. Plus he’s rebounding more! Besides speaking in hyperbole, this is the greatest thing ever!
Reggie Williams -This is a conditional add if Stephen Curry goes down for any length of time. Well, not any length of time. I mean, if he gets a hard foul and falls into the camera pit underneath the basket, I’m not suggesting you go add Reggie Williams. “But you said any length of time!” If Curry misses games … full games … full games played by Golden State … then, you should add Williams.
Jordan Farmar – Ditto for Farmar, except replace Stephen Curry with Devin Harris, California with New Jersey and fun with sadness.
Terrence Williams – Only owned in 40 percent of leagues. The other 60 percent has decided to give him three games to prove he’s worth the pickup. If I were you, I’d only require two.
Jason Kidd – Already went over him earlier today. Scroll, y’all or click here if you’re under time constraints.
Travis Outlaw – At this point, the best you can hope for from Outlaw is that he gets some of that sweet, sweet Williams/ James runoff in blowouts. Also, welcome Google searchers!
Andris Biedrins – He’s averaging a vintage Ben Wallace-like 7/10 this season. He’s also getting fewer than one steal or one block a game while hanging on to a frog burp-inducing .286 from the free throw line, which is closer to the current Ben Wallace.
Marvin Williams – Everyone on the Hawks has played better with Joe Johnson out of the lineup, except one. Quoth De Niro in ‘Copland’ or Kelly Clarkson, You had your chance, and you blew it!