As we prepare for the 2016-17 Fantasy Basketball Season, I’ll be taking a look at each NBA team with their major adds and drops to see if we can pan for any surprise rotational gold.  This open is especially witty for the Nuggets…  We’ll be counting down from worst NBA regular season to the best, mainly because I’m still figuring out how to rank the Warriors…

Washington Wizards (41-41)

F Jared Dudley

C Nene

Ramon Sessions

G Garrett Temple

Gary Neal

Whhhhhhhhhhit MAN!

You have to say “Whhhhhitman!” like you’re almost about to whistle.  Whhhhhhhhit!  Hah, anyway, the Wiz were one of the most disappointing teams in the NBA last year, after being a tough out in the East in 14-15.  Head coach Randy Whitman got the axe, they brought in a good replacement in Scotty Brooks, but didn’t really change too much of their roster.  Kieff didn’t give them the spark they were looking for in a deadline deal, but maybe with a full offseason training with the team (and hopefully only getting detailed for a ton of weed at Philly’s airport will be his only off-the-court distraction), he can return to his peak Suns days.  Other than that, it’s really your same Wiz regulars with a re-vamped second unit.  Here’s how the Wizards roster is taking shape for the season:

PG – Projected Starter – John Wall

There sounded like there was a little concern over Wall’s knee procedures in the offseason, but he recently put those fears to bed by going 8/3/4/1/0 in 16 minutes last Monday.  He played without a knee brace and looked fine, so I think we can expect a typical Wall season.  The metrics hate him more than his true value since he doesn’t 3s like some of the other top-tier PG, but we all know you can easily make those up… ThrAGNOF!

Key Reserves – Trey Burke

Burke’s a pretty good fit as a backup to Wall as a floor spacer/perimeter shooter to give their second unit a different look.  Despite the offseason surgeries, Wall has been very durable the past 3 seasons playing 36+ MPG, so unfortunately there’s not enough run for Burke to hold any fantasy value, even in the deepest of leagues.

SG – Projected Starter – Bradley Beal

What do you get after missed time after missed time with stress reactions in your leg?!  A max deal of course!  But of all the teams to sign Beal, this is obviously a signing where you have to feel a lot safer with him than if he went somewhere else.  The Wiz medical staff know him better than any other’s, so it inspires a little confidence.  Scott Brooks has been able to manage teammates with issues before, so I think Beal can take that next step forward this season next to Wall, and for the first time I’m ranking him pretty favorably.

Key Reserves – Marcus Thornton, Tomas Satoransky

If the Bayou Bomber is going be bombing anything, it will be bombing the bench ala LeBron.  Hey oh!  He got signed for a super cheap deal, so if he’s not banging treys in his limited run or just playing blah, he could get quickly axed.  Then to the rookie that’s gotten a lot of buzz – Mr. Satoransky.  He’s got hops and has played some point this preseason, but the only way I see him getting minutes is if Thornton is hurt or gone.  I think they want Burke backing up Wall, leaving only SG minutes left.

SF – Projected Starter – Otto Porter

I don’t think I’ll be getting around to my “with/withOUT” series I was hoping to do this year, and I meant to get some research done before this article, but alas I’m lazy!  So I haven’t fact-checking this, it’s all anecdotal, but it felt like by far the best stretches for Porter last year were when Beal was hurt.  He’s got a ridiculously metrics-friendly game with good %s and absolutely no TO, but it’s just sooooooo low volume when the Wiz are at full strength.  I’m likely passing on him at current ADPs in the late-mid-rounds.

Key Reserves – Kelly Oubre, Jarell Eddie

Mmmmmmmm, Oubre!  Oubre is mi hombre!  I’ve been talking up Oubre ever since prepping for the 2015 draft, and the love has only grown from there.  He had some major flashes in Summer League last year, then was AWESOME in Summer Ball this year.

Getting steals, scoring in traffic, and made the Summer League Second Team.  Other than mayyyyybe Mahinmi, I think Oubre leads the reserves in minutes, and his high-motor on both ends of the floor can turn him into a great sixth man.  All this raving aside, he’s still a 3-n-D guy that isn’t going to get enough run to nab in redraft, so he’s only a deep league option right now.  Eddie is barely going to play, but felt like he should get a quick mention here.

PF – Projected Starter – Markieff Morris

It’s tough to feel very confident in Kieff bouncing back, but he did just turn 27, and despite all the off-the-court turmoil (which I mentioned a little snippet of in the open there), he was a solid player in Phoenix before they backstabbed the Morri’ twins by trading Marcus.  Then the Suns got a ton worse with their personnel, and finally he got dealt and was a little better last year after getting to DC.  It certainly looks like he will get a 30+ MPG starting role, but Scott Brooks keeps calling Porter “a stretch-4”, so maybe they actually give Oubre a shot to start at the 3 and Porter at the 4.  There’s still enough risk vs. reward for me to have Kieff right around 100 in my ranks.

Key Reserves – Andrew Nicholson

Ol’ Saint Nich has always had a little bit of a funky jumper, and has shown a few brief glimpses, but meh.  He got a nice 4/yr $26 million deal for a guy who will never be an ideal starter, but in today’s expanding-cap NBA, it’s a clear backup deal.  Mayyyybe Jason Smith plays a little 4 next to the other two big boys, but we’re likely to see Morris/Nicholson/mayyyybe some Porter for most of the 4 minutes.

C – Projected Starter – Marcin Gortat

The Ten Foot Pole!  Yes, they brought in Mahinmi for big money, but this is still The Martian’s role for 28-29 MPG.  He’s always criminally underrated in 9-cat and has been fairly durable given his earlier-career injuries and lumbering physique.  But I think he’s a pretty safe center in the 5th/6th rounds.

Key Reserves – Ian Mahinmi, Jason Smith

Mahinmi is now 29, and got a 4/yr $64 million deal.  Wowwwwww.  It would be different if he was – like, 25 – and they saw him being the heir apparent to Gortat, but by the time Gortat has nothing left, Mahinmi is going to be old too!  A lot of Wiz fans threw their hands in the air at this one…  Mahinmi fit will on the Pacers last year, but tough to see him doing much in that 18ish MPG behind Gortat.  Then there’s also Smith – who got a good deal in his own right (3/yr $16 mil) – to filter in some mid-range shooting from a big behind the 4 or 5.

JB’s 2016-17 Projection: 46-36

This shouldn’t have been a .500 team last year, and they’ve improved their second unit.  Oubre for 2019 MVP!

1. Foreign Affairs says:

Oh the Wizards, they really should be alot better this year and while Brooks isn’t known as a genius with the playbook I think we all remember the video clip from the playoffs 2 years ago of Whitman with the white clipboard and Beal looking at him like he’s a conspiracy theorist.

As an Otto Porter owner in multiple leagues last year I can confirm that he is one of the most middle of the road players to own. Never hurt the team but made you question whether he was ever really better then what was on the wire, he’s very Marvin Williams. Can’t confirm the Beal vs no Beal stats exactly but from a cursory look he shot a significantly better percentage when Beal was out there without losing to much production and if Beal gets hurt per usual I can see Oubre sliding over to sg (good read on Oubre by the way).

Tomas Satoransky eh, could he be this years Raul Neto for Trey Bruke?

@Foreign Affairs: Hahahaha yeah I think Brooks is a good fit for this team. I don’t know if they’re a top 4 in the east, but def a playoff team. Yeah maybe the % was better, but I feel like the counting stats went way down for Porter with Beal…. would lovvvvve to see Oubre start any way he can haha. Only thing right now is he looks mighty skinny. Needs a little more muscle. Hah as in satoransky is gonna keep Burke from playing?! It’s possible, but I think he’s more a combo guard than PG…

2. Slim

By the end of the year Sheldon McClellan will be playing 18+ min per game. He’s my top guy who probably won’t get drafted in the REL. I also think Satoransky passes Burke as the backup PG. Good length and he’s an assist 1st PG which is severly lacking when Wall isn’t on the floor, I guess they could play together, but McClellan needs to get his minutes somehow and he can run the offense too. I like a 2nd unit of Satoransky, McClellan, Oubre, Nicholson, Mahinmi, then again I’ve always disliked Burke.

@Slim: You and the Miami bias! I don’t see that happening at all unless massive injuries. I’m no Burke fan, but he can be a serviceable backup PG. I’ll say him and satoransky play backcourt more of the second unit runs

• Slim

@JB Gilpin: I know. It’s fun though. If he ever gets minutes you know I’ll have a bid in on him. Beat case he’s a metrics guy without too many steals but with some assist potential. If Beal goes down again he could find his way into some decent PT. I think he’s an eventual threat to steal some backup guard minutes from any of those current options.

@Slim: if thornton gets axed and theres an injury, then yeah i could see a role, but i think d league.

• Slim

@JB Gilpin: I remember reading that McClellan told teams not to draft him in the 2nd round because he wouldn’t go to the DLeague or be stashed oversees at 23 years old. I don’t think DLeague is an option, maybe a few games with the constant shuffling back and forth is possible but I think he’ll be on the WAS bench for the majority of their games.

@Slim: Hmmmm interesting. Yeah he needs to be playing… Still think an uphill climb though

3. Nick woods says:

Yo yo yo JB!!!
    It’s almost time for my draft again, and I’d love your input again, since I agree with your rankings, and projections more than any other fantasy site. It’s a 12 team H2H 9 category keeper league, and I have the 3rd pick. My keeper is Lillard, and the other keepers are: Harden, Greek Freak, Oladipo, Gobert, Isiah Thomas, Rondo, Dieng, Wiggins, DeAndre Jordan, and Paul George. I’m 99% sure that steph, and Westy will be gone, and I would’ve loved to grab another PG to pair with Lillard. So I’m pretty set on taking KD, eventhough I’ve thought about taking KAT, but I can’t pass on Durrant, not to mention I’ve been a die hard Warrior fan my whole life. Who would you try to get in the 2nd round if you were me? I’d have Lillard, KD, and I was thinking about either Bledsoe, or Kristaps. Your thoughts, and any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks again.
    Nick

@Nick woods: Yoyoyo man! Damn sorry you emailed me too, i just get to comments quicker 🙂 Really appreciate you like the ranks this year! Yup KD is def your guy! Damn, yeah fun times to be a warriors fan! I def like going for a big, PorZingis would be awesome then you can punt FG%. Def like him over Bledsoe. Horford could be an awesome fit too if he makes it to ya! Or Brolo. Have a nice well rounded team with those guys. Good luck in your draft man!

4. Joe says:

So everyone and their mother is super high on Giannis but Im still scared, convince me!

He has the 4/4/4. Wont rest. Great stocks.

DOnt you think losing Middleton will lower his assists as hes one of the only shooters?

But hes such a gamble i feel. Why is he better than Chris Paul or Davis or even Whiteside fir a lot of people? Right now I have him 10/11 and it took a lot for me to put him above LBJ. Ease my mind JB!

• Joe says:

@Joe:

Also i was off the DLO hype train until i watched his preseason. Wow.

When would you reach for him? Before or after guys like Schroder/Teague/Knight?

@Joe: Without Middleton, Giannis is gonna have to do everything and be their Westbrook. Plus he gets blocks for a guy that gets PG stats. Soooo valuable. Most the first rounders have TO issues, all you really miss is the 3s which you can draft later. Its the D stats + PG stats, plus you can take your draft in any direction with him vs Whiteside needing PG or Paul needng C next. Yeah D’Angelo looks good! I still worry about TO and FG% and i like Schrodes a bit more, but hes right in that range! I think right in the same mix as them i have them all 50-60 i think

• Slim

@Joe: That looks to be the right range. Vs Knight I’ll take Russell, more assists. Vs Teague is tough, he’ll outscore/3 Teague but won’t get a high a FG% or as low of TOs. Vs Schroder is similiar, more steals/3s for Russell and Schroder probably matches him in FG%/TOs. I wouldn’t argue with this one. I’ll order them right this sec… Teague, Russell, Schroder, Knight, but which you pick can certainly be need dependant.

@Slim: @Joe: I think I have Knight higher but might flip em. I still like Schroder more, better talent around him, less game that are blowouts when they’ll wanna take him out

5. Slimbo says:

yo jb

D’Angelo Russell or brook lopez? redraft, 9 cat, need another pg

• Slim

@Slimbo: Lopez. If you need a PG then aim higher. Oladipo, Kyrie, Kemba would be more reasonable right now. It isn’t impossible this changes I guess. Just feels low for Lopez.

• MJC says:

@Slim:
        Slim what’s your opinion on Russell long term? Does he look to have the skills to become a top 25 fantasy guy in next couple years or no way?

• Slim

@MJC: The combination of stats are certainly there (assists+steals+3s). He will need to reign in the FG% to the .440-.450 range to make it to top 25 and probably push the assists north of 6.5 or so. Absolutely possible. I don’t see the FG% happening this year but the assists might get there.

@Slim: @MJC: @Slimbo: 8 cat makes em kinda close, but by far Lopez in 9 cat. I don’t even know if he needs to “quite” get to that FG%, but yeah the assists will have to be 7ish and he’ll have to be consistently playing 34 minutes

6. Drez1 says:

Hey, who do you guys like in a deep dynasty (20 team, h2h, standard cats +DD):

Jerami Grant
    Moe Harkless
    K.J. McDaniels

I gotta drop two of them at some point (got a few guys on IR), or try to package them in a deal or something. Just not sure who has the highest upside. Thanks!

• Slim

@Drez1: I like your order. KJ is certainly 1st to go. Grant vs Harkless is close and I’m not sure either ever turns into a 30+ min per game guy but if I were to gamble on 1 it would be Grant.

@Slim: @Drez1: Yup I like that order too with a big gap between them all. I like Grant more than Slim. I like they want him to play some SF, he’s shooting 3s, already has the blocks skill… Harkless just feels like a boring ThrAGNOF PF even if he got big run, Grant is hitting FT better too. Harkless is a surprisingly awful FT shooter

7. Jason says:

1. Should I trade Durant and Wall for Giannis and Drummond? (I have DJ rn too)
    2. Would you trade Deng, Matt Barnes or Evan Turner for Capela (in a punt ft build?)

Thanks 🙂

• Jason says:

My team: wall, evan turner, hill, durant, dieng, pau, amir johnson, zaza, deng, payton, knight, DJ, Matt Barnes

His team: Giannis, butler, wade, gay, drummond, marc, randolph, rose, crawford, hield, middleton

(if you could adjust the first trade option to give me drummond (plus the advantage) that’d be great) thanks!

• Slim

@Jason: 1. Tough call. I’m going to go with NO just because I don’t see much of a gain. Yes you gain some more big man stats but you also loose some little man stats. It just feels like too much.

2. I’d hold Luol. Barnes or Turner for Capela, sure, and yeah I like the idea.

So with a punt FT I’m not too opposed to losing Durant for Giannis. I’d try Durant, Pau for Giannis, Drummond. He doesn’t seem to hate old guys like I do and it fits with him losing the punt FT look he currently has.

@Slim: @Jason: 1. Yeah it’s a no for me too. Makes sense to fully punt FT, but I think it’s too much value. 2. Echoing Slim again here, Barnes or Turner or even both in a 12er I would do. Like Slim’s solution a lot for a trade!

@Scott: Cool only 5 more! I’ll put up on Twitter and have the main account tweet out as well

8. NIck says:

You guys worried at all about Draymond? In all the preseason games so far it looks to be that he is the odd man out, not Klay, like most people predicted. As a dynasty owner of Draymond, I am quite worried about his output moving forward. I’d hate to do anything rash like trade him before the season starts, but he could really take a huge hit in value.

@NIck: Nah not really because it’s not like Dray’s fantasy value is derived from scoring…He’s still getting assists, getting steals, blocks will come, and it’s just preseason, they probably are emphasizing having the big 3 work together, but it’ll even out. I def wouldnt sell Green low

9. SDC says:

hey JB! Any thoughts on my team? Just finished draft earlier.

10-Team Standard 9-cat

PG, -Lowry, Schroder
    SG – Harden, Clarkson
    SF – Batum, Crowder
    PF – Green, Aminu, Saric
    C – Valancuinas, R. Lopez, Nurkic, Noah

I drafted Noah with my last pick. I think he has value given where I drafted him. Though he’s the first to be out if ever there will be waiver pick up potentials.
    First though with my team is low FG% and high TO team. And I think I need some scoring.

@SDC: I think I like Noah over Saric and Aminu, but they’re all nice to have with your final picks. Agree you TO is really high and FG% is mostly a punt. I think your scoring is pretty good actually. I think you’re really low in REB actually, depending on how much burn Nurk really gets. I think I’d hope to get a boarder off the wire who is hot to start the year for Aminu or something, but I like how the rest of your cats came together!

• SDC says:

@JB Gilpin: Thanks man! Somebody just dropped Embiid. I know he’s in mins restriction but I’d really love to gamble on him. Really love the upside. What do you think?

@SDC: I just moved him up a good bit in my last update. I think he’s 100% must own out of the gate, even if my rank is a little pessimistic due to the minutes and sitting on b2bs

• SDC says:

@JB Gilpin: who’s my best drop candidate? Saric, Aminu or Noah? I’d love to drop Noah since I got him for out of position assist. For Saric, I was hoping for a lot of production from him since Simmons injury. And for Aminu, I love the threes and defensive stats he’s giving me.

@SDC: It’s probably Saric for me, I know you don’t need Noah’s dimes, but he’s a good tier ahead of him and Aminu. Actually strike that, I personally would lose Aminu, but you seem to like him and he and Saric are close, could lose either one. Def dropping one for Embiid though

• SDC says:

@JB Gilpin: I decided to drop Aminu. I think Saric will have more usage than Aminu. Hopefully those will convert to meaningful stats. *fingers crossed” lol

@SDC: Awesome, like this move! At least we’ll have a pretty good gauge on Saric early on, and we can see from there…

10. Vince says:

So I have the #1 pick (going to pick Harden) in my 9CAT H2H league.

What do you think the best 2/3 round pairings are since I have the picks back to back. Ive been thinking some combination of (Draymond/Brook Lopez/Porzingis)?

Maybe Kemba too but I dont expect him to drop to me. Should I consider a PG if Kemba isnt available like Kyrie or Isaiah? Or it it better to go with the bigs up top?

Just trying to figure out who to pair with Harden since Im definitely getting him

@Vince: Dray/Porzingis would be awesome! You add more blocks, pretty much punt FG% and have a good baseline. I would like Kemba a ton as well, and Lowry, it would be too high for Isaiah for me. So yeah, Lowry>Dray>Kemba in that order, then def a big. Porzingis should be there, and that’s what I’d go for

• SDC says:

11. Dante Green says:

Bud I just joined my friend’s league and we just concluded our draft. It’s a money league but Jesus, some of the picks were downright outrageous. Hah. So here’s my team:

#1 James Harden (Gimme the 1st overall pick, Hah!)
    #24 Paul Millsap
    #25 Isaiah Thomas
    #48 Nikola Jokic
    #49 Goran Dragic
    #72 Evan Fournier
    #73 Myles Turner
    #96 Gorgui Dieng
    #97 Aaron Gordon
    #120 Rodney Hood
    #121 Reggie Jackson(IR)
    #144–

What do you think man, I’m still short of two players because I inserted Jackson in the IR slot and I dropped my last pick who happened to be Matt Barnes! I was about to take Nurkic but ESPN acted up on me making Barnes as my autopick! Ugh. Players who could fill my two open roster spots are: Nurkic, Sullinger, Frazier. I’m hoping to snag one or two of them.

My AST ,3PM, PTS, and FT I firmly believe are rock solid and I’m sure as hell I’ll be winning those categories on a regular bases. REB and BLK are OK but there’s still room for improvement (seriously need to have Nurk and Sully).

STL is pretty meh given that I do not have an elite source of steals but more than half of my team is still capable of producing a steal per game and depending on who my opponent is, steals could still somewhat hold up.

TO and FG might be a punt. Lol

I’m pretty much satisfied with the team I came up with. Hood I know is a steal at #120; Jokic, Gordon, and Turner are all set to play more minutes; Dragic and Fournier will take on a more vital role with their respective teams. I only really need to have two strong pickups and if I manage to, then making the playoffs and finals should definitely be a cakewalk.

@Dante Green: Wowwwwwwwww Sapper 24. SMH. Dieng 96??!?!?!?!?!?!?! Def get Nurk ASAP! How he went undrafted is maybe the biggest surprise…

I dunno if your TO is even that bad! Sure Beard is historically awful, but rest are fine! When R-Jax is healthy, yeah he’ll hurt FG and TO. This team is pretty dirty!

• Dante Green says:

Man, the draft was crazy. I was scratching my head all through out!

Yea, MUST. HAVE. NURKIC. Lol But I kinda not wanna have two players of the same team, already have Jokic! But better have Nurkic than a scrubby player off the wire. Best thing that could happen is someone else claims Nurkic, but I end up getting Frazier, that way I could still pursue Nurkic by offering his owner Frazier!

I also placed a claim on Taj. Taj is outplaying both Portis and Mirotic so there could be a chance he wins that starting PF job, isn’t it? Or nah?? I just need a 10/10 guy with blocks, is all brah!

@Dante Green: Hah yeah I can bet! Yeah I’m not worrying about two Nugs with talent like Joke and Nurk. Sure, yeah Taj is a little underrated, I think maybe more like 9/8 with 1.5 BLK, but that’s still usable! Rest is so blah though…

• Dante Green says:

I just replied!

• Dante Green says:

BRAHHH I bring you awesome tidings….. WE GOT NURKIC! Imagine my elation!! Hah. Jesus, am I even going to lose with the team I just assembled??

So someone else claimed Frazier, but that’s OK because Nurkic was our top priority and I already have awesome guards who can produce a great amount of dimes (and I still have RJax). I mentioned I was short of two players, the other one that I managed to get was Biyombo. Biyombo was a backup plan if someone else gets Nurkic, so now I really don’t need him. But here’s what else happened on the wire–someone just dropped Covington for Taj, and I’m looking to add him in favor of Biyombo! What do you think Bud? Looking at my team, are my boards and blocks good now? Overall value I’m really leaning towards claiming Cov!

@Dante Green: @Dante Green: Hah, commenting at the same time! Awesome get, nabbing Nurk. Def getting Covington! Damn your league is letting go of great players haha. Helps your STL, and your FG% was kinda weak as it is, I think he is a great fit and you give up that cat most weeks

• Dante Green says:

Hah yea. Love to have Cov on my team. However, I will have a big problem once RJax gets back bcoz I will need to drop someone to make room for him, but damn I don’t think I have someone who’s worth the drop. Hah. I may have to do a 2 for 1 trade and what I have in mind is Hood+AGordon(or Cov) for Booker–you know I’m a Suns fan so this is more like an emotional trade. Haha

@Dante Green: Well it’s a month away, things will work themselves out before then. I wouldn’t wanna make that deal though! Really like Gordon 🙂

• Dante Green says:

Hah yea, I’ll cross the bridge when I get there! Hope I kill it in both leagues this season!

• Dante Green says:

Just a quick update bud, I successfully claimed Cov. Jesus

@Dante Green: Hah, unstoppable team! Can’t believe he was dropped…