REL Basketball1Whew-ee!  Look at our graphics dept. putting together some sick new logos (aka, hurray for some extra time this weekend)!  Man, look at our shiny new one at the bottom of the post too, I want my jersey retired in the rafters!  Although as we passed through the trade deadline, it was I Ain’t No Jok(ic) who really put the pedal to the metal in acquiring a big haul of rentals.  I haven’t seen rentals this abused since Blockbuster was in business!  The top 5 teams claimed playoff berths with a pretty big margain between 6 and 7, so it looks like the playoffs are set.  All that matters now is the jockeying for seeding, with all of the top 5 in range for a coveted bye week.  Here’s how week 18 went down in the REL:

RAZZBALL ELITE LEAGUE

1. HateUsCauseTheyAnus  (105-55-2)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: Marcelo Huertas ($1)

2. Yappers  (103-55-4)

FAAB Remaining: $10  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

3. I Ain’t No Jok(ic)  (103-57-2)

FAAB Remaining: $33  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

Well my big pre-playoff test is complete. I came away with a 5-4 victory over the first place team. Which managed to actually knock me down in the standings as it turns out, so no longer in position for a first round bye going into the final week. Incredibly, by knocking off #1 I’ve made it so that 2.5 games separates the top 5 teams! So I’m looking at finishing anywhere from 1stto 5th at this point, though I did mathematically clinch a playoff spot at least.

I’m a little disappointed in my team’s performance this past week despite the win. I think minor injuries and missed games by Nene, Oladipo, Noel, and of course Carroll contributed, but there was also the criminal lack of playing time for WCS and Aaron Gordon. I think the lack of WCS, Aaron Gordon, Noel and Nene caused me to lose boards and blocks with easily my worst week in either category for quite some time. Based on that I guess I should be happy I won 5-4, though I feel it could have been 7-2 if a couple things fell my way (like George Karl and Scott Skiles opening their eyes).

I wasn’t planning on making a trade, but, in the end I decided to move one future piece for a couple of now pieces. I hope I didn’t screw up the chemistry on my team though, I know the trade rumors effected the outgoing Otto Porter who was horrible all week leading up to the trade. Sorry Otto, we still love you. Coming back are Batum, Ibaka, Chalmers and Iggy (in exchange for Porter, Nene, Price, and Livingston). I don’t think there’s much of an upgrade for the last two guys but, I definitely added an extra top 60 player in this deal. Here’s hoping it’s enough to put me over the top!

4. Martyball – IFBL  (103-58-1)

FAAB Remaining: $29  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

5. Slim – Razzball  (103-58-1

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

6. JB Gilpin – Razzball  (92-65-5)

Whew.  Yes, that’s right, I started both the intro and my recap with whew…  It was a grinding week!

After a slow start, where I was even down 3-6 at some points to Pete Nice on Wednesday, my guys got it together and I put together an 8-1 win.  With Scurry winning 5-4, I expanded my 1.5 game lead to 4.5 games.  Now, I still don’t think I’m good enough to do major damage in the playoffs, but back-to-back playoff nods after a rough inaugural season has been a nice turnaround.

I was fairly close to making one final deadline deal that fell through, but through the past few weeks I’ve been able to assemble some rentals to maybe get lucky through the playoffs without damaging my keepers.  I still feel like I’m more of a “next year” team, so here’s to hoping some of my young guys barely playing/not playing (cough, Powell) can shock the world with some PT and I can sneak some 5-4 playoff wins in there.  We need miracles baby!  A Cinderella run!

FAAB Remaining: $1  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

7. Scurry to the Left  (89-71-2)

FAAB Remaining: $98  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

8. Niko-Cola  (84-72-6)

FAAB Remaining: $68  FAAB Moves this week: K.J. McDaniels ($0)

9. Hard-N-Tha-Paint  (85-74-3)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: Reggie Bullock ($0)

10. Kap’s Team  (84-74-4)

FAAB Remaining: $53  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

11. High as Greg Kite  (80-79-3)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

12. Heat Apologist  (80-81-1)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

13. Hardenoutherr4apimp  (73-88-1)

FAAB Remaining: $62  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

14. Hoopus Alleyoopus  (65-94-3)

FAAB Remaining: $13  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

15. Foreign Affairs  (64-98-0)

FAAB Remaining: $55  FAAB Moves this week: Sean Kilpatrick ($35)

I finally got my guy in Joel Embiid $11 who I’ve been chasing for months now to pair up with Gorgui up front and if if starts sniffing his potential and is putting these injury issues behind him should be a massive bump for my weak rebounding and block numbers. And if the following link is any indication he might be a decent ft% and 3s big…wooo getting alittle hot in here.  https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/498rr4/joel_embiid_casually_shooting_corner_threes_with.

Giving up $14 Ryan Anderson doesn’t bother me to much as while he is an excellent stretch big who could get a starting spot next year by leaving the Pelicans im hoping a healthy Donates can reproduce a discount version of what he gives at only $1. Also at 27 he is abit old for the core of my team and before this year he was abit injury prone so maybe a wash with Embiid in that regard…lots of knocking on wood.  Moving Bojan as well didn’t bother me since I feel like I am selling high on him especially since maybe Sean Kilpatrick guy just replaced already, and boy did I over pay on Sean, I had a $13 dollar bid right up till 3 minutes before closing and jumped it to $35 feeling like I would need to go that high to nab him seeing other prices in FAAB and the fact alot of teams still had money to spend with little season left, Also had a bid for Beasley that would have easily gone through but after not playing last game and looking like I would be dumping a soon to return to playing Jodie Meeks I decided to skip doing that, just see to many bigs that should be playing instead of Beasley in Houston…if that team you know actually was functional for a few weeks. Upshaw fits with Nogueira as my $1 flier bigs to see if something happens this offseason that makes them valuable, I still need one more big to have a nice rotation there so hopefully one of them pans out and on a plus side the Lakers center spot is terrible with Hibbert probably gone this year and the free agency centers that would likely consider the Lakers aren’t really all that much better then Hibberts “back-ups” so summer league here we come.

Its been a long time coming but I finally go up against JB this week, and while this will be the last match-up for my team since I’m well out of the Consolation playoffs I have a very slim chance to play the spoiler for JB holding onto that last playoff spot.  Unfortunately for him he goes up against my team fresh of a 4-5 loss where Russell has free rain and is tearing it up, Mudiay is getting all the counting stats and killing % but he his to’s have gotten better and 2 of his last 3 games had good fg%. I expect to lose but look forward to watching my young guys give it there all and who knows maybe Butler’s knee explodes and Snell rises like the unexpected hero in a sports

16. Pete Nice – Razzball  (62-98-2)

FAAB Remaining: $83  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

17. Cigar Smoking Monkey  (60-101-1)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

18. No Glove No Love (55-106-1)

FAAB Remaining: $39  FAAB Moves this week: Chase Budinger ($8), Ray McCallum ($1), Vince Carter ($1)

19. The Nature Boy   (54-106-2)

FAAB Remaining: $75  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

20. The Chosen Ones  (54-108-0)

FAAB Remaining: $1  FAAB Moves this week: Michael Beasley ($4)

REL Basketball winners1 large

1. Adam

Adam says:

Huertas will take us to the promised land! Very surprised I got him for only a buck…

@Adam: Your friggin’ $1 bested mine due to waiver priority, which is garbage, I might make waiver priority reverse standing next year ya bum

• Adam

Adam says:

@JB Gilpin: I worked hard for my priority! Oh, just ftr, almost had a deal worked out with Scurry, but midnight hit first… I think I may still have a shot though, so might as well go down with the ship.

@Adam: Hahaha surrrrre you worked hard. And yeah I was close on a deal too, but it sounds like we might make it in the offseason…

• Adam

Adam says:

@JB Gilpin: Hey! I took a crappy team all the way to the top! Granted, the future is a bit sketchy, but a cheap Hood is a lot more future than I had before lol. Plus, a whole lot of trade negotiating… I’d call that work!

@Adam: You had a decent start… And yes overall you def worked hard! I just meant on that waiver priority, you lucked into it 🙂 Although my cut was Courtney Lee, which I may have regretted…

• Adam

Adam says:

@JB Gilpin: Buttttt if I wasn’t in first then I wouldn’t have the priority haha. Eesh… I would’ve taken Lee over Huertas. Although, Brown is down for the Lakers, so we’ll see!

@Adam: No that’s not how priority works! It’s only if you happened to have $0 bids on the same guy, then it shuffles you down to the bottom if you won out before. Just fluky.

Hah well i need AST more than STL or 3s, but it’s probably for the best I ended up with Lee still, even after a bummy game yet again

• Adam

Adam says:

@JB Gilpin: Oh really? That’s what I thought, but then you mentioned that it was by standing order or something lol. My bad! This was my first low dollar bid, so my priority was saved until now.

@Adam: Hah yeah my $0 bids had a few waiver awards in there haha. I don’t think I’m “really” gonna change it, but I was mad I lost out there 🙂

2. sebapargue says:

how is that trade not vetoable? are you guys trading picks also??

otto, nene, price and livingstone for ibaka, batum, iggy and chalmers? thats laughable.

• Adam

Adam says:

@sebapargue: The keeper price on Otto is significantly lower than the keeper prices for the other players involved. For a rebuilding team, the deal made a lot of sense, although, I do think he could’ve squeezed a little more. Basically Jokic gave up a great long-term contract for a few good rentals to make a push this year.

• A Hill O' Beans says:

@Adam: @sebapargue: I’ll chime in as the guy that gave up Porter. I don’t think any of Ibaka ($40), Batum ($36), or Iggy ($8) are gonna be keepers at their keeper prices. Chalmers is only $1 but even then he’s a borderline keeper for me at his age/upside. Porter on the other hand at 22yo for $9 is a definite long term keeper. He’s easily the best long term guy in this deal due to his age, upside and cost.

So it’s a bunch of rentals for a long term keeper. Trades are always tough to evaluate in keeper leagues like the REL. I mean I traded Harden away for DeRozan in the REL and feel good about it due to their keeper costs, but on the outside that looks like the worst trade ever, ha-ha.

@sebapargue: @Adam: @A Hill O’ Beans: Yeah when you’re punting the season, you might as well give up everything you’re not keeping for something. And the dealing team offered me a similar deal for $1 Crowder and some other keepable pieces, but I declined.

And I will not allow vetoes in any leagues I run haha

• Foreign Affairs (Xsaliden) says:

@JB Gilpin: @Adam: @sebapargue:

I also worked out the Roster cost and for Jokic his roster is already at the max budget of $200 going into next season not including Ibaka, Batum, Iggy and Chalmers which puts him at $285 so if he wants to draft anyone and keep those guys there is a lot of cutting or trading he would have to do.

3. Tyler says:

So Jamyke went ham last night. Kudos for pointing his upside to me. Might keep him for the stretch run. 🙂
    Just have another Blake question, seems to still not be cleared for contact and our playoffs start next week. Is it possible for him to get cleared for contact and cleared to play right away? Coz if that’s the case then I might still get 3games from him if he get’s cleared tomorrow (Mar9) which in turn will peg him back on Mar16 after serving his 4game suspension.

How likely is it the above situation pans out? I’m asking because I need to calculate if I should just stream Blake’s spot this week since I need to win this week to avoid the other team who has Curry + Draymond + Isaiah + Hayward. Let’s just say his team is built better than mine and we are aiming for the same categories in h2h.

@Tyler: Yup looked good! I like him, glad it worked out! With it a broken hand, I think it’s certainly possible, not like he’s off a knee and should/will need practice time. I still think that’s a little unlikely, I think he’s a few games after that. I’d be more apt to try and win now with an Active guy

4. WillieStone says:

If you had to choose 2 players, which guys do you like going forward for the rest of the season (including playoffs)?

* Tristan Thompson
    * JaMychal Green
    * Al Jefferson
    * Markieff Morris

I get TT’s boring stats/low upside but he’s more or less somewhat consistent. Rebounds are a need on my team and his occasional 10+ Rebs game helps.

I like Green’s game but the situation in Memphis has me a little unsure of his role. If he’s getting 25+ mins a game consistently then he’d be my choice, but the uncertainty.

Both AlJeff & Kieff obviously have been disappointments so far, but both have played better recently.

There’s a limit to add/drops in my league and with the playoffs ’round the corner, I need to choose wisely.

Thanx for your reply in advance.

@WillieStone: Good one, I’ll go Morris and JaMychal. I know it’s tough leaving out Jefferson, but he just doesn’t do much beyond Pts/Reb anymore.

Which do you own right now? If you owned Jefferson with a stringent moves limit, I might not swap him out…

5. lb. sand says:

Drop M Turner for D Lee?
    H2H 10tm

@lb. sand: Nahhhh I wouldn’t

6. Bye Felica says:

Looks like a middle of the pack finish for Hard n tha paint. Oh well, it was a learning curve year. I airballed the freak for horford deal seeing how he’s been tearing it up (after i moved him) of course!!!! I should have a decent core for next year & a nice $120 range to fill in some holes. Do I think i can win it all next season? Nope, but i think i might be able to crack the top 6 with a couple of moves and a few good guards or wing players. Deandre,Horford,Drummond,& CJ Mac, Ish Smith is a decent $80 core to start with. To the remaining teams good luck in the playoffs, i had fun playing in this particular dynasty league. It was fun. Go get em JB!

Hard D, sad trombone… OUT

@Bye Felica: Yeah it’s def a tough league to hop into, you did well!

Glad you enjoyed it man, hopefully it’s quickly becoming your favorite league, appreciate ya cheerin for me!

• A Hill O'Beans says:

@JB Gilpin: @Bye Felica: it really is a tough league. I think I finished 16th in year 1 and 14th in year 2. The second half of year 2 is when the team I built started to click and my guys began playing well. Don’t be too discouraged if you start out slow next year and the playoffs get out of reach for one more season.

@A Hill O’Beans: What happened to my team! Well, not really, but playoffs is tough in a 20er for sure

• A Hill O'Beans says:

@JB Gilpin: Yeah except you turned around a little earlier (or just did a better job of it) I think and made the playoffs year 2, haha.

@A Hill O’Beans: Hah well I feel like my year 1 team wasn’t awful, but I didn’t aggressively buy PG like I shoulda… I love my team right now for the future, but wish I had Schroder 🙂