We’re through the break and nearing the REL playoffs, with the dogfight for that #6 playoff spot heating up.  I have the Slam Dunk champion on my team, do I get any bonus points?!  Those relentless BassetHounds and Martyball both remain tied at the top, now 11 games over the field.  Looking like our bye week winners and spots 3-5 are fairly locked up!  But you know what happens when you assume…  You make a Brandon BASS out of you and me!  Here’s how the rest of week 16 went down in the REL:

RAZZBALL ELITE LEAGUE

1. Barking BassetHounds  (99-41-4)

FAAB Remaining: $27  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

2. Martyball – IFBL  (100-42-2)

FAAB Remaining: $65  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

3. Scurry to the Left  (89-53-2)

FAAB Remaining: $68  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

4. Slim – Razzball  (89-54-1)

FAAB Remaining: $20  FAAB Moves this week: Nick Collison ($1)

5. Kap’s Team  (81-60-3)

FAAB Remaining: $35  FAAB Moves this week: Willie Green ($0)

6. Breaking Batum  (77-66-1)

FAAB Remaining: $36  FAAB Moves this week: Toney Douglas ($9)

And we’re BACK IN THE GAME! For this week at least. We were able to pull out a huge 8-1 victory last week, boosting us to a 3 game lead for the last playoff spot. We were able to bench our 4 guys playing Thu night, as our opponent had nobody going. The first short week benefited us greatly.

Now for the 2nd short week, we get to play Martyball. Ouch. If we can pull out a win, I like our chances of making the playoffs. If not… there are a lot of teams clamoring for that last spot.

Did everyone forget about FAAB this week? After JB and Slim were talking about Douglas going for ~$20 on the podcast, we were the sole bidders at $9. The other top FA this week, Lance Thomas, only goes for $5. That’s crazy.

Have a good short week everyone, and good luck Martyball.

7. Hoopus Alleyoopus  (73-70-1)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

Very frustrating 4-5 loss this week. The Mo Williams trade, plus Blake Griffin and Jameer Nelson injuries left me with 9 guys that really didn’t contribute at all. Still, going into Thursday night I could win the week if Kyrie Irving hit 2 threes and scored 21 points. Both are just under his season averages, plus Kevin Love wasn’t playing so they needed Kyrie to shoulder more of the load on offense. Unfortunately, he sucked and shot 6-18 from the field with 1 three. Now I am 4 games back of the final playoff spot. Not a good place to be.

Larry Sanders is in buyout talks with the Bucks, so I may get something out of him this year, assuming another team wants him. Mo Williams being traded is a good sign for his playing time as Charlotte is missing Kemba Walker and Mo will step into a starting role for about a month. Those are positive developments, but I am hurting. I have 9 guys who are averaging 17 minutes or under. That is what happens when you are forced to rely on Quincy Acy.

8. JB Gilpin – Razzball  (72-70-2)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

Well, I feel weird complaining about a 7-2 win, BUT I DEMAND A RECOUNT!  FG% ended up a tie, with it down to a 0.44785276 – 0.44782609 loss for yours truly.  Yikes. One less miss or one more make!  Oh well, I only won by a single dime in the shortened week, so there’s that.

In this fight for the #6 spot and squeaking into the playoffs, this is a pivotal week.  Breaking Batum has got a rough matchup against #1 Martyball and I’ve got another matchup against a rebuilding team.  I’ll be rooting for The Nature Boy to upset Hoopus as well.  Time to hit the afterburners in the push!

9. Youth Movement  (72-70-2)

FAAB Remaining: $5  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

10. Team Tough Guy Town  (70-70-4)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

11. Pete Nice – Razzball  (71-72-1)

FAAB Remaining: $25  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

12. The Nature Boy  (68-75-1)

FAAB Remaining: $53  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

13. ChazTop–KevinBottom  (67-75-2)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

14. Mr. Green – Nowhere  (62-79-3)

FAAB Remaining: $8  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

Yet another convincing win, 5-3 this time. Thats 34-19 over the last 6 weeks. As for the competition? Over those same six weeks MartyBall is close to me at 34-20, but of course I defeated him 6-3, so there’s that. It turns out that there is in fact only one team in the whole league that has a better record than me over the last six weeks!?! That, not surprisingly, is Barking BassetHounds at 40-19. I don’t mind too much since they’re my pick to win it all this season. I’m expecting to fight for another victory against a top 10 team this week.

There’s a good chance the team I have now will be extremely similar to the team I have next season. Of course I’ll be adding Paul George, Joel Embiid, and a couple decent players in the draft to replace the end of my bench. That and my many under 24 players will be improving. Suffice to say the solid play I’m seeing now, despite being out of the playoff race, is actually pretty meaningful for me.

Time for another short week, and hopefully another big win!

15. Ben – RotoGold  (60-83-1)

FAAB Remaining: $50  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

16. SethDaSportsMan  (59-85-0)

FAAB Remaining: $14  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

17. High as Greg Kite  (58-84-2)

FAAB Remaining: $1  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

18. Cigar Smoking Monkey  (55-88-1)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

19. Like A Josh – IFBL  (53-88-3)

FAAB Remaining: $85  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

20. The Struggle is Real  (47-97-0)

FAAB Remaining: $85  FAAB Moves this week: Lance Thomas ($5)

1. Joe says:

Here’s to hoping JB is doing comments anyway today! Too early to drop Melo without official word of a shut down? I ask because Jrue is on the wire and I really have nobody else I can drop for him (not even MCW, to whom I’m growing kind of attached).

Go get’em and sneak into the playoffs. Getting in is the most important part of the season!

@Joe: Yeah man, I’m always around! Yikes, yeah so tough since there hasn’t been a follow up to his comments saying it’s very likely over. I’m leaning I’d rather have my stash be Jrue for the playoffs.

Thanks man, I’ve got a light schedule, just need the pieces to fall in place!

2. AC says:

Hey JB,

So I’m in a bit of a conundrum. I drafted Kemba, but dropped him in my 12-team H2H league. He’s still available on the waiver wire, but the last but of news had him slated to come back the first week of the fantasy playoffs – it said he was “not rushing” the recovery process but with the Hornets battling for a playoff spot he might have to.

Anyway, I am definitely making the playoffs, but I’m in a 3-team battle for the second bye slot. Here’s my current team:

-Brandon Knight
    -Goran Dragic
    -Darren Collison
    -Geoge Hill
    -DJ Augustin
    -Kevin Martin
    -Batum
    -Giannis
    -Luol Deng
    -Derrick Favors
    -Jonas
    -Nurkic
    -Anthony Davis

Should I pick Kemba up and take the chance of missing the bye for possible later playoff benefits? If so, who would you drop? I think Nurkic is the worst player I have but clearly I’m light on bigs.

Thanks!

@AC: Hey man! Yeah that’s a toughie, I’m leaning just letting Kemba sit out there and someone else can take that gamble. Slim might disagree, he lives by the “no one remembers 2nd” mantra, but hopefully getting that bye week and only having to win 2 weeks I think is more valuable than a stash of Kemba.

3. Johnny says:

Hey JB..

Wondering if you thought Paul George or Jordan Hill would be good adds (12team 9cat).. I’m comfortably in the playoffs but we have a short season (only two more weeks after this one before the playoffs) so wasn’t sure if stashing George would even be worth it..

I like Jordan Hill too but but worried he doesn’t do enough outside of pts/boards because my team has survived on dominating the less sexy categories (3pts, steals, blks, etc.) (we also have two center slots and only one utility in our league so slotting is occasionally an issue on busy days if I dont stream a center)

My team for reference:
    PBev
    CP3
    Elfrid
    P.Milsap
    Korver
    Durant
    Noel
    Covington
    Gannis
    Pau
    #Occupy
    Ed Davis/streamer

• Johnny says:

@Johnny: Correction only one more week after this one before the playoffs.. damn idk what I’m going to do with my time after next month

@Johnny: Haha yeah man, season has flown by! Yeah I’m letting George sit out there. Even if he’s practicing it doesn’t mean he’ll get a big minute role at some point. I’d rather have Hill over Davis when he’s back, and underrated part of Hills game is FT% from a big, even though it has trended down a little lately…

4. OldMilwaukeePounders says:

JB, whats good my man? I am hanging in 2nd in my 11 team roto (no TOs). Can’t seem to make that jump yet. I am really lagging in 3s (got a recent boost by trading for Ariza, Batum playing a bit better and Kev Mart’s return). My strongest cats are FG%, AST, STL, BLK, but my question is this: I simply cannot get anyone to make a deal with me, would dropping Valanciunas for Paul George be a worth while gamble ROS? Here is the full squad:

Wall
    Martin
    Ariza
    Draymond
    Horford
    Rubio
    Markieff
    Ibaka
    Hayward
    Valanciunas
    Holiday
    Batum

What do you think? I feel like it could be a good gamble. Thanks as always.

@OldMilwaukeePounders: Alls good man!

Roto, getting George makes a lot more sense H2H. And while I worry about George’s minutes if he does return, it’s not like Valanciunas is playing 30 every night! Can you stream the spot a few games first? I dunno man, I’m having a lot of trouble buying George doing too too much this year… I might wait until Holiday is back and healthy before taking the risk of stashing George as well, I know that might mean you miss him though…

• OldMilwaukeePounders says:

@JB Gilpin: I wonder if I could pull off a sign and trade..pick up George and try to use him to entice a deal out of someone. There are some other intriguing options out there, if Reggie Jackson goes to a place that can get him good PT, would he be a solid add?

Long story short, are there any other trade candidates that are worth monitoring for a bump in time?

@OldMilwaukeePounders: Oh for sure, RJax going somewhere and starting would be massive! Problem is holding George means you have two injured guys which could hurt your roto standings. I’d rather hold RJax and hope he gets moved rather than George. Ummm, Afflalo seems for sure out which could make Foye interesting again if he’s healthy enough and maybe more minutes for Danilo if Wilson Chandler stays there, even more Galo upside if Chandler is dealt

• OldMilwaukeePounders says:

@JB Gilpin: Thanks for the tips my man. I added RJax for the time being just in case.

5. Hoopus Alleyoopus says:

Oh, your rooting against me JB? Well, UP YOURS!!!!

@Hoopus Alleyoopus: Hahaha sorry man, it’s a bloodbath for that final spot!

6. TheMuppetManiac says:

Someone dropped Dwight. Is he worth picking up? I heard he’s out 6-8 weeks, but it could be 4. He’s he worth stashing? I would drop Len for him.

@TheMuppetManiac: If you’re either punting FT% or really strong there, sure I think that might be worth the move, but generally I’d be letting Dwight sit there if I didn’t have anyone worse to drop

7. Chumlee says:

What’s happening JB! Your thoughts about Cousins improving his FG in the second half of the season? He’s just right around .465 on 18attempts per game, last season he was at .490! I’m looking to improve my fg, reb and blks all at the same time(bigs are: hibbert, faried, whiteside, hawes and Dirk. Hibbert and faried are inconsistent as f!) but making a trade for him I’m not sure if will boost my fg? If u say I pursue a trade for him which of these you think I should offer:
    A) Nowitzki and MCW
    B) Nowitzki and Batum
    C) Nowitzki and Hibbert

I wanna throw in players with name value so other owners won’t think I’m robbing Boogey’s owner. LOL

• Chumlee says:

@Chumlee: or /Parsons now that news have it that Rondo will be back for their next game! The more I’d like to dump Parsons to somewhere else SMH

@Chumlee: What’s good man?! I def like Boogie and think FG% should come up a tad, but won’t be huge. Kings don’t have a great system, lots of good 1-on-1 guys. Maybe Karl will help though, though Boogie does take a lot of jumpers… That said, I like all 3 of those offers, actually all 4 even the Parsons one. With FG% a big need, I’d start with the MCW one if you have good PG depth. Hope that helps!

8. m1chael says:

Whats up JB! Can’t wait for All-Star week to be over. It’s ridiculously long..

Kemba and Dwight is sitting on the waiver.. I was the one to drop Kemba after his injury but now that I got Rubio/KMart back I finally have a full on roster.

Should I be stashing both players? I’m sitting at 3rd and playoffs start March 16th (i think).
    Here’s my roster
    Westbrook
    Lillard
    Rubio
    MCW
    Draymond
    Kmart
    Giannis
    Middleton
    Horford
    Favors
    JV
    Hawes

Leaning on dropping Hawes for either.

Let me know. Thanks!

@m1chael: Not much man! Yeah it’s felt weird lately with nothing new to write about! Luckily catching up on Pitcher ranks over on baseball!

TO look like an issue already and I think you have plenty of G depth. In your situation, I’m good grabbing Dwight for Hawes since a big man looks like a need for ya. Any time man!

9. Bye Felicia says:

Time to swap Jru for Kemba since Jru is obviously done for this year? I don’t see him coming back this season. Thoughts?

@Bye Felicia: I’d probably rather Kemba, but I like a lot of other options better, even Canaan now!