Wise man once said, “if nobody talks about a fantasy league, it no longer exists…?”  Well, I certainly wish that was the case for the REL league!  But alas, even if it’s a little late for this glorious Monday, we take a look back to our Razzball Elite League with our first place dominating Martyball – IFBL putting up the immaculate 9-0 victory.  An unstoppable run!  Here’s how the rest of week 12 went down in the REL:

RAZZBALL ELITE LEAGUE

1. Martyball – IFBL  (81-25-2)

FAAB Remaining: $80  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

2. Barking BassetHounds  (74-31-3)

FAAB Remaining: $69  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

First the trade.

Last year I made a trade I deeply regret in an attempt to upgrade my team for the present. The trade was my Monroe and Mason Plumlee for Pekovich and Enes Kanter. In the end Pekovich was injured for the finals (surprise, surprise), Enes Kanter was..well..Enes Kanter..and I got my butt kicked in the finals by Slim. I ended up not keeping Pekovich (good move as he was replaced by Pau Gasol) and in a semi-controversial move after finals dropped Kanter (who was not being kept for $30) for an injured CJ Miles..who for $1 is useful to me (and I suppose a $1 Kanter is useful to somebody else). But still lesson learned. H2H playoffs are just too flukey to mortgage your future too much on.

I said that to say this. This year I thought through my limit for future – present trades and decided John Henson would be it. So I was quite pleased that it net me an $8 Kevin Martin, who should be useful for a couple years anyway. Now John Henson may still develop into a beast (and I am now weak in blocks) but this year he was just not getting the minutes, and outside of an injury I don’t see that changing..at least this year.

So now the wing position (led by 14$ Wesley Matthews, $8 Kevin Martin, $11 Paul Pierce, $12 JR Smith with $11 Gallinari, $1 CJ Miles, and $1 Sefolosha is relatively strong now and a trade at some point in time may be in order (am thinking JR Smith) for a PG or a big. No hurry and I might wait a little to get a feel of my team post trade.

My matchup was a pedestrian 7-2 victory where I lost one ratio and turnovers. We are now entering a part of the schedule where I play relatively strong teams for the next 5-6 weeks, so this should be a good test.

3. Scurry to the Left  (71-31-1)

FAAB Remaining: $68  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

4. Slim – Razzball  (70-37-1)

FAAB Remaining: $25  FAAB Moves this week: Bojan Bogdanovic ($13)

After these past couple of weeks I might have thought this team was unstoppable, but as the fantasy gods giveth, the fantasy gods taketh away. First and foremost the overlord took Mike Conley away from me on only his 2nd day with my team. That hurt quite a bit and all I can do is grin and take it, by the way that sound you hear is my teeth clinching and grinding through that aformentioned grin. Oh well, “Injuries happen”, says Alec Burks from the fiery depths of my final roster spot.

The real smite to my squad though came from the bottom end of my roster. Marvin Williams, P.J. Tucker and Marcus Morris only played a 2 game week so the final weekly stats look much worse than they probably were. Tucker has been a top 80-100 guy for the year and Marvin and Marcus are hovering around top 150 overall. All 3 get a free pass, especially the last 2 since they represent 2/3rds of all of my PFs. Solomon Hill, Jusuf Nurkic, and Steven Adams all struggled this week but they are young and the ups and downs are expected. For reference, the top teams have 2 or 3 players age 25 or younger while half my team, and all of my keepers, are under that mark. I don’t expect to finish the regular season with a 1st round bye, I just have too much inconsistency with youngsters figuring out their role.

Norris Cole is not one of those youngsters figuring out his role. Wade goes down and instead of Cole getting 30+ minutes Shabazz Napier goes from DNPs to starting and playing all of Wade’s minutes. The problem for me though is that Norris Cole is my 4th PG. He gave 12 assists last week which turned out to be pretty useful with Conley down. However since Cole is 26 years old, lacks upside, and is $8 to keep he doesn’t fit any of my long term plans. Not that Bojan Bogdanovic does either (25yo – $1) but Bogdan is playing reliable minutes right now and should contribute in 3 categories I’m looking to improve, 3s, FT%, and TOs.

And for your weekly Nurkic update… He can’t stay out of foul trouble. Period. The Per36s however still read like they’re straight off the tablets of law themselves, 16.4/13.4/1.8/1.8/3.0.

5. Kap’s Team  (63-43-2)

FAAB Remaining: $87  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

6. Youth Movement  (60-47-1)

FAAB Remaining: $46  FAAB Moves this week: James Michael McAdoo ($11), Mitch McGary ($5)

As expected, I took a beating. Tobias Harris missing the week didn’t help, but that would have only made the numbers look cosmetically better. I traded my last old-head away in Kevin Martin, receiving John Henson. My existing bigs are shooting stretch-4/5’s, and I needed the shot blocking big. Hopefully Larry Sanders pulling a Ricky Williams will open up time and Zaza will realize he is old and will go spend more time with the captain and Joey in a Turkish bathhouse. I also grabbed two new youngsters in McAdoo and McGary, just now realizing the irony of their obvious Irish heritage. Jon Leuer just isn’t going to get the chance and he wasn’t going to become a keeper. I imagine this is my last week in the “playoff hunt”, as other top 12 teams are getting healthy and surging at the right time.

7. Breaking Batum  (57-50-1)

FAAB Remaining: $57  FAAB Moves this week: Larry Drew II ($1), Robbie Hummel ($1)

It feels good to be back in the win column. We finished 5-4 against a top 5 team, losing blocks by 2 and rebounds by 7. We lost 2 games from Noah, and Al Jefferson and Shumpert missed the week, so this could’ve easily been a bigger win.

We would’ve lost to our next opponent 2-7 had we played this week, but hopefully we get Jefferson back this week, and maybe the Cavs new starting SG! (one can hope right?)

We again missed out on our top 2 FA targets, Ingles and Bojan. We have definitely mis-managed our FAAB this year. We took flyers on Hummel and Larry Drew II, but I have the feeling we will be looking to add 2 more guys next week.

We are looking to make a big trade. Jefferson, Noah, Batum, and others are available to either help win a title this year, or to be a cornerstone for next years team. Trading is the best part of fantasy, so we are always up for talking trades.

8. Hoopus Alleyoopus  (52-47-0)

FAAB Remaining: $30 FAAB Moves this week: n/a

A pretty brutal 6-3 loss to Slim this week. James Johnson with 3 turnovers on Sunday to lose that category for me by 2. I should have benched him with all over the other categories already decided but I had a pretty late night Saturday and didn’t check my team until it was too late. That one game could be the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Mo Williams had a huge week with 91 points, including the 52 on Tuesday. Hopefully when Rubio comes back or Mo is traded, that performance shows coaches that he still deserves a decent chunk of playing time. Jameer Nelson is playing again which means I have somewhat of a chance of winning the assist category again. He shot well last week, but up until the trade he was shooting a pathetic 34%. Maybe now that he will be playing against 2nd units instead of starting his numbers will improve.

9. The Nature Boy  (54-53-1)

FAAB Remaining: $88  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

10. Team Tough Guy Town  (52-53-3)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

11. Pete Nice – Razzball  (53-54-1)

FAAB Remaining: $40  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

12. JB Gilpin – Razzball  (48-59-1)

FAAB Remaining: $0  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

Well, another week another loss.  At least I got Kawhi back, but had to bear losing FT% by a single thousandth (one missed) and nothing else really being that close this past week.  While Kawhi is back, losing Wroten hurts – might end up being a good chuck of the remainder – and my best player that’s been healthy all year Brandon Knight had only a one-game week.  Ouch.

Hey, so I don’t have FAAB, but spending big on Langston Galloway is looking good so far, and I still have Ibaka on the trading block to plan ahead for next year.  I’ve got almost my whole team on 4-game weeks, so looking to shock Martyball with a nice “playing spoiler” week.  Just needed Rubio back by this point!  Ahhhhh!  Ay dios mio.

13. High as Greg Kite  (45-62-1)

FAAB Remaining: $8  FAAB Moves this week: JaMychal Green ($5)

14. SethDaSportsMan  (44-64-0)

FAAB Remaining: $14  FAAB Moves this week: Joe Ingles ($8)

15. Cigar Smoking Monkey  (43-64-1)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

16. Like A Josh – IFBL  (42-65-1)

FAAB Remaining: $85  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

17. Ben – RotoGold  (41-66-1)

FAAB Remaining: $50  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

18. ChazTop–KevinBottom  (40-67-1)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

19. Mr. Green – Nowhere  (38-68-2)

FAAB Remaining: $24  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

This week i think we’ll just focus on a few of my players after a close matchup.

DeRozan is back…..yeah!

Aaron Gordon played his first game for me since I traded for him, and he looked pretty good too…….yeah!

The Knicks made Cleanthony Early inactive so they could play a bunch of 30yr old guys they signed to 10 day contracts…….ummm, not yeah? Booooo?!?!!!

Oladipo is playing like a top 15 player…….yeah!

Noel had his best game in the NBA this week……yeah!

Jonas was on fire with a double double in the first half the other day, going 10/11 from the field. So the Raptors guards and coach decided to reward him by completely ignoring him on offense ever since, to the tune of 21 FG attempts total in the 14 quarters since that great first half. And he hit 11 of them!?! Half of which were probably put backs on offensive boards……not yeah! Booooo!

20. The Struggle is Real  (37-71-0)

FAAB Remaining: $100  FAAB Moves this week: n/a

1. Tyler Durden says:

Hey JB, do you think I have a drop for Nurkic or Mozgov or JR Smith?

G – cp3, rubio, holiday
    F – kawhi, hayward, draymond, covington
    C – horford, brolo, rolo, sullinger, olynyk, noel

Leaning noel for nurk? Whatchathink?

@Tyler Durden: Olynyk has had some nice games, but I don’t buy him for consistency. I def would own Nurk over stashing Rolo though, it’s still at least a few weeks for Rolo and I could see Nurk outproducing him already, even though he’s struggled a tad

• Tyler Durden says:

Even with Boston cleaning house and Olynyk’s upside in becoming a 1-1-1 with good %s?
        So keep Noel over RoLo? Not afraid of Noel killing FG and FT?

• Tyler Durden says:

Aldridge injury bumps RoLo?

@Tyler Durden: I don’t see any reason they’d trade Tyler Zeller, so nah I don’t think Olynyk gets there. Rolo isn’t a guy that’s gonna get benefited from injuries – maybe it helps his minutes a tad… Still Noel for me, getting better, TO going away

• Tyler Durden says:

@JB Gilpin: Thanks man, im dropping RoLo for Jamba Jus. I think I need Olynyk’s 3s. How about Marcus Smart? Seems to be turning it around, should i pick him up? Really worried about this Jrue injury esp with what happened last season.

@Tyler Durden: Nice! Totally agree with that move. Nah, I need to see Smart starting or a little more consistency before adding in a lot of leagues

2. hamtime says:

Hi JB,

1. Dropped Meyers Leonard for Langston Galloway (pre Adridge injury). Thoughts on Langston?

2. Dropped Pek in my 14m league for Meyers Leonard (after the Aldridge injury). Who would you rather own, and if neither, would you try Langston instead of both the aforementioned bigs?

3. Overall, is Pek worth owning at all this year in a 14m league? Seems like with reduced mins, he will just provide a smattering of points and rebs since he doesn’t really defend. Unless the rubio effect is huge..

• hamtime says:

@hamtime: i also own meeks in a 14m. is he worth the hold? pls choose 2: meeks, langston, meyers, pek.

@hamtime: 1. Langston is the lead tomo! Like him. Mostly the situation… but I think he can do well. 2. Might be worth seeing what Leonard will do, depends on needs if I would go Galloway over them. 3. I agree with you, I won’t be getting Pek. Don’t see Rubio doning all that much for him, he needed minutes to be useful and his body just can;t handle it. Prob go Meeks and Meyers, but if no need for big man stats, gimme Galloway over Meyers

3. drummonded says:

hey

drop motiejunas. middleton or vasquez for josh smith , mozgof or T thompson?

thanks 🙂

@drummonded: Nah I think I like your guys the best, Kevin Love already back keeps Thompson out

4. playoffmoves says:

Thanks for all of your help! i’m pretty confident in making the playoffs at this point (long way to go i know) but i’m a big sell off my cheap keepers to teams with little to no chance for their proven expensive studs. heres the deal, keeper league and can only keep 3 guys. $15 is the minimum a player can be kept. looking ahead theres a guy with what i think are players that can help me this year in the playoffs. he has 2 great keepers but no real third. I want to make sure this deal is ‘fair’ in a keeper league sense.

I want to deal a guy a
    $18 Paul George, $15 covington, then my used trash in mo williams/deron williams/isiaah thomas or a $15 nicolas batum

for (all expensive or boom/bust waiver wire guys)

nikola vucevic, mike conley, greg monroe, and rudy gobert.

this would leave me with only rubio and conley as my pg’s, so (if i do it) should i keep back either deron williams (great playoff schedule, terrible injury risk) or isiiah thomas as pg insurance and send over batum instead? batum’s been a keepr of mine for 3 years but i’m so over him, the hell i trust him in the playoffs. i know it’s 1.5 months away but still.

or do i just drop gobert off of the trade back to me? his blocks could be the difference if i get matched up against the team with serge ibaka in the playoffs.

sorry for the long post but thank you. I know some people frown on these trades but it’s the nature of a keeper league in my opinion. paul george is a great player and hope he comes back full strength. the guys keepers would become westbrook/wall/george even tho he cant compete this year.

@playoffmoves: Got ya on today’s article, hope it helps!

5. playoffmoves says:

the guy also has victor olodipo whos been crzy hot lately. i know orlando has a bad playoff schedule but their 2 game week is buried in a 2 week championship week anyway, so it’s kind of overblown if you ask me. just sit him and start someone else that one week.

@playoffmoves: Ah I missed that part of it in today’s yeah if it’s a 2-week final then getting him over Dirk makes a lot more sense

6. DG says:

JB, is trading Nowitzki and MCW for a top 15-player good?

@DG: Yup, I’d def have trouble not liking any top 15 guy for those 2

Demare Carroll
    Dion Waiters
    M Barnes
    LeBron
    Andre Drummond
    Deandre Jordon

I think I need to get LeBron off my team because:

A) I am punting free throws (and almost punting assists) , and LBJ is killing my turnovers as well. Don’t think I can afford to be that weak in 3 cats. I have a pretty low TO team without LeBron.

B) Crappy playoff schedule

So my question is, should I try and trade Lebron and if so, what should I try and get for him?
    Was thinking someone like Paul Milssap + other pieces to get some extra steals and make sure I’m solid in that cat.

Whatca think?

@Mike: Sure, yeah moving LeBron makes a ton of sense, I agree. If you did it for Millsap, the other pieces would have to be really nice pieces. I think getting another low-TO PG would be a big help too, might get you just as competitive in assists to fill LBJ void. Like a Mike Conley or Lillard type

• Mike says:

There’s a team with Conley and Kawhi. Does LeBron + my worst PG (Lin?) for Kawhi + Conley make sense?

@Mike: You know, I like that one a lot! Neither turn it over a lot and Lin and LeBron do. I hope he takes it!